Aug 12, 2009

Site changes and editing update

I am very pleased to announce that I now have a proper website for my editorial work at kallisti.ca. This is doubly delightful because, as a new Canadian permanent resident, I'm allowed to have a .ca domain, which I think is very neat.

The site was designed and built by Christopher Kahn, to whom I am eternally grateful. I think he did a marvelous job--I wanted the site to be simple and helpful, and I think that's just what it is. What you don't get to see is the amazing project database he also made for me, which is like magic. It leaves me free to assault misused hyphens and dangling modifiers instead of trying to strong-arm my math skills into properly organizing deposit invoices. Brilliant.

Just in time for the site launch, I got a lovely shout-out on the Self-Publishing Review for my work on Henry Baum's upcoming novel The American Book of the Dead, which I had the pleasure to edit last month. It's been really gratifying to hear some kind words from my authors even after they've spent weeks reorganizing subplots and rewriting their least-favorite scenes because of me! I've heard some horror stories of authors feeling very abused and browbeaten by freelance editors, and I really hope that I can make the experience a little more pleasant for the authors I work with.

Just finished off a YA project, and I'm taking the rest of the week off to finish up all the paperwork I need to do for my residency, all the chores I've fallen behind on...you know. Everything. I'm really looking forward to my next project--it's a delightful novel by an Authonomy author that's already in great shape, and I can tell we're really going to be able to make it shine. That'll probably be my last project for this month, and then I'm accepting submissions for the fall.

No comments: